Hiring marquees for events has become commonplace – there are now wedding marquees, marquees for garden parties, marquees for corporate events and even marquees for family reunions.
As someone who is going to hire a marquee, it is very important that you take into account all safety issues. It is a mobile structure and anything can happen. Most risk is usually at the time of installation and the time of removal but that is not to say that something cannot happen in between. Here is what you should do to minimize risk.
• The first thing is to know who is responsible. If you are hiring a tent for a company event then the responsibility is upon you to keep your workers safe. If you are hiring for a private event such as a wedding then the liability lies with the marquee company. That said, anyone who hires a tent is responsible for keeping everyone around safe.
• Get a risk assessment and method statement before you hire any marquee company. The good ones will show them to you even before you ask. You should find out how these documents were produced – some unscrupulous businesses use fake documents.
• Ask for current copies of premiums for public liability insurance – this is in case anyone is hurt in the event of an accident. They should also have insurance for all their employees. This ensures that should they get injured while working on your tent they cannot hold you liable. Ensuring that there is insurance is probable the most important part of hiring a marquee.
• Find out who will manage the team while they are working on the site. A foreman is necessary in case you have any concerns. It also makes communication easier when you are dealing with just one person.
• If your marquee is going to be near a walkway you should find out how they intend to keep members of the public safe as they construct and deconstruct it. They ought to put a barrier that can stop any falling items.
• Observe the marquee company when they arrive on site to see how organized they are. Are they systematic? Do they organize all their items to ensure that there is no risk to anyone? If you don’t like what you see you should speak to the foreman right away and tell him your concerns.
• Find out what kind of flooring you will get. Marquees come with different kinds of floors – plastic, wood and so on. There are some floors that are slippery and that increase the risk of falls. These should be avoided. Ask them to install a non-slip floor for your event.
These tips should help you with health and safety issues when you hire a marquee.Read More